I started the Our House segment a few years back, honestly thinking we would be able to start updating soon. As you can tell, though, that hasn’t happened. The truth of it is big house updates are needed.
Today I will be sharing a couple of projects we are hoping to start tackling soon and sharing here. One is a significant project, and another is more little updates that may turn into more. I’ll share a little bit of the past photos of what each area looks like now and highlight what we are hoping to do.
I am excited to get the ball rolling, sharing more heavily on our house projects. What we did, what we used, and how I think it could help you. After all, that is why I share our stories.
Big House Updates Needed
I feel awful that we have lived here for eight years and have gotten so little done. I understand, though, when Jason gets home from work, he doesn’t want to spend more time doing what he was doing. And on the weekends the last thing he wants to do is do more work too. Plus, we all know lack of funds is a significant hold off on getting anything done.
We are serious though about getting some updates in little by little even. I have added new rugs in a few areas of the house, which helped make the space feel different. It’s time to tackle some more substantial projects, though.
Main Floor Bathroom
Being that I have done full room tours of each room of our house, minus the basement, you’ve seen our main floor bathroom. It needs help—the shower, especially and the floor.
We are ready to tackle it. It’ll be a little difficult mainly for one reason – its the only shower in the house. Upstairs we have a bathtub but no showerhead. I am sure we’ll make it work while the bathroom gets done, but it’s been a significant hold-off on getting moving on this project. Plus, the worry about what behind the shower may hold. ICK!
What the Main Floor Bathroom needs
- Remounting of the toilet.
- Replacing the flooring.
- Completely redoing the shower area.
- Replacing the vanity.
- Updating the lighting.
- Mounting at least one set of cupboards.
- Painting the walls – unsure of color as of yet.
- Replacing or spray painting the register cover.
- Maybe putting in a pocket door.
The color scheme I have in mind for the main floor bathroom is black, red, and white – with maybe splashes of some other primary bright color.
It’s a lot and is a little daunting to write it all like that. It’s a full room gut. At least the bathroom is on the smaller side; we have that going for us.
Of course, our bedroom needs cosmetic work, but this little refresh, I am not looking at that unless it happens. I am creating a more cozy, welcoming bed for this upcoming cooler season. Small little touches that should make it more of a haven. Here are the updates I have in mind. More or less may happen, depending on what pans out.
- Acquiring a new down comforter is the first one. Jason and I both love down comforters, but I have had a heck of a time finding a perfect one in the last few years. The previous down comforter we had shed like crazy and wasn’t fluffy. Disappointing.
- Also, adding in a couple more sets of soft, welcoming sheets. Soft is a must.
- Finding new pillows would be a grand addition.
- A new mattress would also be great for our sad, unhappy backs.
- Maybe finding a rug for under our bed.
- Possibly replacing our bedside table lights.
- Make a little hoovering shelf behind my nightstand.
Those are the little changes I’d like to do with this bedroom refresh and if other things pan out, great!
Those are the two updates for our house we are thinking of doing soon. Little by little, with a lot of work on my end, changes will happen. It’s scary when you know big house updates are needed, but when done in little bits, it’s less scary. And home will feel more like a cozy, welcoming home, which I want.
And I want to share it with you all. What kind of updates are you looking to see progress? Do any of these two resonate with you?