I love hosting a party. Saying I love hosting seems weird, being I am a true introvert, but it’s fun for me, and I love people over at my house. I am much more relaxed in my environment. So planning Lily’s birthday party was super fun for me. When her Birthday was coming up, I was trying to think what theme I’d like to do for it, and I just happened upon this super cute ladybug outfit, and I knew that was it. We call her Lily bug, so it seemed so fitting. Plus, ladybugs are so cute! Time for Lily’s First Birthday ladybug party!
The post below may contain affiliate links, which I may receive a kickback if you order through the provided link at no extra cost to you.
It was a toss-up about what weekend we planned for her 1st Birthday here. The party would be on either the 13th or the 20th of August. In the end, we decided on the 20th since our fair was on the 13th and on the one day of it we like to go to (Tuff Trucks). So we started planning this super fun and special first birthday ladybug party!
Lily’s First Birthday Ladybug Party
Jason and I were up late the night before the party trying to get the balloons up & the photo wall. By the time we finished and woke up the next day, I regretted doing a noon start time for the party. I don’t know what I thought when I posted that as the start time, but Lily usually is just about waking up from her morning nap, so I knew she’d be happy. Never again will I start a party at noon. No.
Other than the start time, things went beautifully. We had lots of help getting things ready before most everyone showed up, which was a blessing. The party would be a potluck BBQ, making it easier for us to set up, but me being me – I had to add several things of our own to make sure we had them.
The picture wall, ladybug cake (smash cake), and gift table were set inside the dining room. Partly because we did most of that the night before and kept the cake “cooler.” We ordered Lily’s smash cake from Chucks Produce & Market along with the simple red/polka dot cupcakes. It was very affordable and turned out so cute.
Everything else we decided to set up outside for ease of movement. Jason’s work provided a couple of extra tables & a pop-up canopy for the party. I am grateful for that, as the canopy helped protect the food and made the perfect area to put it all.
We provided the meat (hamburgers & hot dogs), a few drinks, a vegetable tray, and cute ladybug Caprese appetizers (because, hello, how could we not?!) I made the drinks up in my favorite drink dispenser, providing four different things: iced tea, water, lemonade, and a strong sangria that cousin Chelle whipped up for me.
Guests started arriving, and Lily woke up just as they were. I changed into her cute outfit, and she was ready to party. But, of course, all bets were off when this perfect ladybug car came rolling into the house. I wish someone had gotten a video of her when she spotted it because her eyes lit up, and she got the biggest grin on her face. It was the sweetest thing. And after that, all she wanted to do was admire her car.
All, including Lily, enjoyed the food. After, it was time for some cake indulgence. Lily wasn’t sure what to do with this item in front but slowly figured it out. The black icing was a mess (you don’t want to know all the places it found itself), and because of that, a bath was needed stat, which meant an outfit change and then time for some presents.
Lily had little interest in gift openings. Remember, at her actual little Birthday, she happily opened them. There were just too many people to visit and things to do this time. It was until she climbed into her car and was pushed over to me that she started to take an interest in the gifts. Silly girl.
I would say she had a fantastic birthday. And I think that the people that attended enjoyed it as well. So, overall, I would call it a roaring success.
What Items We Found For a Ladybug Birthday
Truthfully finding cute little ladybug items was not easy. They are out there, but it took some digging. Below I’ll list the things we used to help you if you want to do a ladybug birthday, whether it’s a first birthday ladybug party or just a ladybug theme party. You should find items you can use and hopefully enjoy as we did!
- 1st Birthday ladybug outfit – what started the ball rolling on our theme. Only one of two items that are set for a 1-year-olds birthday.
- One Ladybug Banner – a little banner for the highchair decoration.
- Full Ladybug Banner – more for the wall.
- 30-Piece Ladybug Balloons – we ended up not using this set but had it on hand in case we had decided to do so.
- 44-Piece Ladybug Balloon/Arch Set – we used this and loved it but didn’t do the entire arch since we didn’t have helium. Although you can see above, it still turned out cute.
- 9-Piece Ladybug Centerpieces – so cute, but I messed up when putting them together by sticking them entirely together. It comes with paper clips, so you can fasten it to fold and reuse it.
- 6-Piece Hanging Lanterns – are adorable, and I kept them up as long as possible. I can’t wait until we get lights for the porch and can snap these lanterns over the lights.
- Mommy & Daddy Ladybug Birthday shirts were so cute and well received by the guests.
- Ladybug Earrings – I already owned these and forgot to put them on for the party. I meant to and was so bummed when I realized I had forgotten.
- Ladybug Welcome Mat – not fully birthday-themed, but it fits in beautifully.
- We also found three ladybug decorations to add to the yard/door from Hobby Lobby.
Let me hear it, are you going to be doing a ladybug party? Did I inspire you at all? Also, if you see something else I may have used in the pictures above and would like a link I may have missed, please let me know, and I will be happy to provide it.